Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Potty Training 101

So I have finally made the plunge to potty train. Mind you this is something I have been dreading since the day Tyler was born. I have heard so many horror stories about potty training and that boys are so much harder. I just haven't wanted to do it, but the other day we were almost out of diapers so my options were: spend $40 on diapers..or start potty training.

Guess what I chose..and am I regretting it..yes a little.

Items to get started..
*20 pairs of potty pants
*treats of Tyler's choice
*juice and lots of fluids to drink
*extra blankets and sheets
*Noah's Ark and a lot of animals
*Patience and TIME

What can I say there is no easy way to potty train your child unless you are Gina and you child does it herself. But it has to be done, so my friend Nikki at work gave me a copy of the book she used that's called how to Potty Train in 3 days...did it work might you ask?

Well kind of, he isn't completely potty trained, we still have accidents and he still can't make it through the night, but it's only day 5. He did however learn the concept in 3 days, and I agree with her methods completely. Her entire point of the first 3 days is to catch your child in every accident they have and run them to the bathroom in the middle of it..this trains them to recognize when they have to go potty and what it feels like. Tyler actually caught onto this really well. He just has trouble stopping what he's doing to go potty. You are also not suppose to ask them if they need to go potty, because they will most likely say NO. But you gently remind them at least 1,000 times a day to tell mommy if you have to go potty, after awhile when I would say this he would say yes I do, and it makes him feel like he made the choice. But like I said we aren't completely there, but I'm hoping another week will do the trick. Nikki trained her little guy in less than 2 weeks (even through the night) using this method and he is 2 months younger than Tyler. So cross your fingers for me because I'm hoping to have him trained before we move into our new house, so hopefully I can avoid the accidents on my new carpet.


The basket is full of presents which are animals that go to the Ark, so every time he tells me he has to go potty and he makes it..he gets to open a present. Luckily we have a lot of animals to go with it. But he gets so excited and wants everybody to watch him open it. I am so proud of you Big Boy!

8 comments:

The Viehweg's said...

Yay Tyler!!! Keep it up, I promise it gets better.

LTC said...

Yay for Tyler...and his Momma!
I second the fact that it gets better...just keep it up!!

The Parks Fam said...

YAY for potty training. So I am going out first thing tomorrow to buy that book. I am pretty much in desperate mode right now with Dax. I bet you are soo proud of Tylerand also proud to no longer buy $40 dollar diapers. YAY!!

Tiffany said...

Megan- I love the whole Noahs Ark prize theme. I might steal that idea in a couple of years :) The thought of buying diapers for two more years makes me shudder. Thanks for the tag- and your house looks beautiful. I cant wait to see the whole thing. Let us know if you need help!

The Viehweg's said...

Meg, how is it going? I bet he is doing great!!

Kira said...

Good for you. We are fighting the battle too, only with not much success ;) Congrats!

Chris and Tara said...

What a cute idea to give little presents. Very clever. Good luck on your closing. Ü

Michelle said...

Good luck with the potty training. You are a super cute mom and that sounds like a fun way to get the task accomplished! By the way, your house looks amazing :)