Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nap VS No Nap...

We have been struggling for some time with giving up the naps. For some reason I just can't seem to figure it out. My sweet little boy who is now 4 will still take naps 90% of the time. So why...would you give it up, some might say? If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to share because I am so in between right now. Which is worse nap or no nap?

Nap
he fights it everyday but...
he will still take them 5 out of 7 days a week if we are home
he gets so bored during the day he needs that down time
he's up until 10 or 11:00 at night (big sigh)
he's so much happier when daddy comes home
It's been a lot harder now that I have school in the afternoons
he usually won't take a nap at someone else's house

No Nap
will go to bed right at 8pm and sleep until 8am
gets super hyper and crazy by 6:00pm
the melts downs start and the count down until bedtime begins
he starts falling asleep around 6-7:00pm
he gets frustrated when playing
I'm so exhausted just watching him that I'm ready for bed at 8pm
wants to watch TV all day because he's bored

Oh...why can't I still have both? Naps and and early bedtime, heaven knows I would love that for myself right now. Kids just don't realize how lucky they are. I love that my little guy is growing up and is much more independent. That he can make his own decisions, and that he tries to be a good boy. I just don't get how he has so much stinkin' energy! He will go, go, go all day long and never show any signs of tiring out. I wish I could find that kind of energy. I guess this is just another realization that he's not so little anymore and I have to let him grow up. The question is if we give up naps, what do we do all day, because he is so bored? This is a kid who always wants to be on the go and doesn't like to stay home and play with his own toys. Crazy I know but it is a struggle everyday to get him to play. Sometime he will just sit in his room and stare at things rather than play. I think it's a stubborn thing which we all know he inherited a lot of...from his dad!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

That's tough. Really. Any answer I could possibly think up was shot down as I kept reading the post. Still thinking....

Gina said...

Yuck! Is what I say to that. We go through this same thing, as you know. What if you did NO NAP every other day??

Anonymous said...

Try no nap and start getting ready for bed around 6:30-7:00 (bath, prayers, scriptures, whatever)then give him a lamp and a book and let him look at the book until he falls asleep. Maybe he'll sleep longer in the morning, or be up earlier :).